Survey No. AA-34F MARYLAND INVENTORY OF Magi No. Maryland Historical Trust HISTORIC PROPERTIES State Historic Sites Inventory Form DOE yes no 1. Name (indicate preferred name) - _For. Meade-Education Building Type Camp Meade/ Fort Leonard Wood historic and/or common Fort Meade 2. Location street & number Fort George G. Meade not for publi6ation city, town Odenton _...X_ vicinity of congressional district 3 state Maryland county Anne Arundel 3. Classification Category Ownership Status Present Use district _X public occupied agriculture _ museum 2L. bullding(s) private unoccupied commercial _ park structure both work in progress educational _ private residence site Public Acquisition Accessible entertainment _ religious object in process X yes: restricted government scientific _ being considered yes: unrestricted - industrial transportation X not applicable _ no military ____x_ other: 4. Owner of Property (give names and mailing addresses of all owners) name United States Department of the Army street & number The Pentagon telephone no.: 703-546-6700 city, town Arlington state and zip code VA 5. Location of Legal Description courthouse, registry of deeds, etc. Anne Arundel County Courthouse liter street & number 7 Church Circle folio Annapolis state Maryland 6. Representation in Existing Historical Surveys title N/A date federal _ state _ county _ local depository for survey records city, town state 7. Description Survey No. AA-34F Condition Check one Check one excellent _____ deteriorated unaltered ___X__ original site ____ good _____ ruins altered _ moved date of move _ fair _______ unexoosed X varied X varied Prepare both a summary paragraph and a general description of the resource and its various elements as it exists today. (SEE ATTACHED SHEET) Survey No. AA-34F Page 7.1 7. DESCRIPTION Fort George G. Meade (Fort Meade) was established in 1918 as a temporary mobilization cantonment. From 1918 to 1974 the post served as a training facility for infantry and cavalry units. Since 1974, Fort Meade has served as the administrative center for the 1st Army Corps. A reconnaissance architectural survey of the installation was undertaken during March 1993. The survey identified seven major usage typologies within the building stock of Fort Meade: domestic buildings, administration buildings, industrial buildings, transportation buildings, recreation buildings, education buildings, and health care buildings. A Maryland Historical Trust State Historic Sites Inventory Form was completed describing the Fort Meade elements that comprise each typological category. One educational structure was identified at Fort Meade as a result of the reconnaissance survey. Building 2234 was identified as a classroom and barracks facility for the Fort Meade Bakers' and Cook's School. The limited parameters of this reconnaissance survey did not allow the intensive research necessary to determine whether other buildings in the immediate vicinity of Building 2234 are also related to the school. The structure's original use was determined after examining the building's completion report at the Suitland Federal Records Center in Suitland, Maryland. Buildings constructed at Fort Meade to provide educational functions for troops stationed at the post include instructional buildings, research facilities, drill halls, and other training facilities. The education buildings encompass a permanent brick building and Second World War temporary wood frame buildings. Extant resources are associated with the Inter-war period and the Second World War era. Temporary domestic structures are located throughout the post, and are associated with the emergency mobilization program enacted in 1940. In 1983, Congress directed the Army to raze all remaining World War ll temporary structures. The Army recognized that this category of structure possessed the exceptional qualities of significance necessary for listing in the National Survey No. AA-34F Page 7.2 Register of Historic Places. A Programmatic Memorandum of Agreement (PMOA) was negotiated in 1986 between the Department of Defense (DoD), the National Council of State Historic Preservation Officers, and the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation to mitigate the effects of razing upon this resource base. As stipulated within the PMOA, major types of World War II temporary buildings were identified and recorded to the standards of HABS/HAER. Completion of the PMOA stipulations was achieved in 1993. Reconnaissance survey of World War II temporary structures at Fort Meade identified the plan type of each structure to verify its mitigation under the auspices of the 1986 PMOA. Since World War II temporary structures are a nationally homogenous resource that have been subjected to intensive study, architectural descriptions of these resources are not included within the text of this form. Education-related World War II temporary buildings are located throughout Fort Meade, and an education building intended for permanent use is located southeast of the post's core area, across Franklin Branch. The core area of the post flanks the Midway Branch of the Little Patuxent River, in the southern section of the post. Building Description Building 2234 is a two-and-one-half story, nineteen-bay, brick building occupying a ut.1" shaped ground plan, and sheltered by a hipped roof. The building was completed in 1939 to house instructional and barracks facilities for a Bakers' and Cooks' School. A raised poured concrete foundation supports the building's brick walls, which rise two stories and terminate in a hipped roof. Five gabled dormers are situated on the roof plane above the primary elevation. One shed-roofed dormer and a shed-roofed vent are situated on the rear slope of the roof. Windows throughout the building are six-light-over-six-light double-hung wood sash units. Square stone pilasters support a plain stone entablature marking the primary entrance. A one-story rectangular wood frame addition extends south from the hip end of the west wing. 8. Significance Survey No. AA-34F Period Areas of Significance.Check and justify below k _ prehistoric archeology-prehistoric community planning landscape architecture_ religion _ 1400-1499 _ archeology-historic conservation law _ science _ 1500-1599 _ agriculture economics _ literature _ sculpture _ 1600-1699 X architecture education X military _ social/ 1700-1799 art X engineering music humanitarian _ 1800-1899 _ commerce exploration/settlement philosophy _ theater .X_1900. communications industry _ politics/government transportation invention other (specify) Specific dates Builder/Architect check: Applicable Criteria: X A BX C D and/or Applicable Exception: A B C D E F G Level of Significance: X national state local Prepare both a summary paragraph of significance and a general statement of history and support. ( SEE ATTACHED SHEET ) . r Survey No. AA-34F Page 8.1 8. SIGNIFICANCE Maryland Comprehensive Historic Preservation Plan Data: Region: Western Shore Period: Industrial/Urban Dominance 1870-1930 Modern Period 1930-Present Theme: Military Resource Type: Education Buildings Buildings: #2234 Total Building Count: 1 Summary Fort George G. Meade (Fort Meade) was established in 1918 as a World war I temporary mobilization camp. From 1918 to 1974, Fort Meade served as a training facility for infantry and cavalry units. Since 1974, Fort Meade has served as the administrative center for the 1st Army Corps. Building Type Summary Education Buildings Training has been a function of the U.S. Army since its inception. Prior to the twentieth century, though, only a select group of officers received extensive classroom training, at the U.S. Military Academy, West Point, New York. Other members of the military were left to learn their combat craft through participation in field exercises, utilizing post office or barracks structures as instructional space whenever a classroom setting was necessary. The development of buildings intended solely for instructional use is a 20th century phenomenon within the U.S. military. This evolution of an instructional building category arose not from a lofty desire to elevate the intellects of the general military populace, but for practical Survey No. M-34F Page 8.2 reasons. During the late nineteenth century, the "art" of warfare experienced a technological revolution. By the early twentieth century, military equipment was becoming complex to the extent that training was required to competently operate the articles of war. Army instructional facilities on active installations usually are specialized structures designed to accommodate applied training activities. This general Army pattern is reflected at Fort Meade in Building 2234, the Army Bakers' and Cooks' School. Historic Context World War 1 (1917-1918) In April, 1917 the United States entered World War I, which had been raging in Europe since 1914. For the United States Army, this war posed new problems that fully challenged its capabilities. In 1916 the Army's total strength was 108,399 officers and enlisted personnel; by 1918 America's mobilization effort raised that number of personnel to 2,395,742 (Weigley 1984:599). Crucial to the Army's expansion was its ability to provide built facilities to support the new recruits and to shelter them while they were trained and organized. The magnitude of the Army's expansion led to the establishment of temporary cantonments to accommodate the burgeoning number of new recruits. The War Department planned to construct 32 temporary cantonments by September 1, 1917; each cantonment was to be capable of housing 40,000 soldiers. Responsibility for the establishment of these camps was removed from the Quartermaster General and placed in a special "Cantonment Division" (later called the "Construction Division") that reported directly to the Secretary of War (Risch 1962:605-609). The cantonments were divided into two categories: (1) camps for mobilized National Guard units, and (2) camps for new National Army units composed of recently conscripted soldiers. Because the National Guard units were expected to require minimal training, the War ( Department decided to house these soldiers in tents, and to construct only a minimum number Survey No. AA-34F Page 8.3 of wooden buildings. The National Army cantonments housed trainees in wooden barracks that were intended to remain structurally sound no longer than five years. Both types of cantonments contained road networks, electric and water supplies, and other required utilities (Risch 1962:605- 609). Because the National Guard camps used canvas shelters, they were concentrated in the southern states, while the National Army camps were distributed across the nation (War Department Annual Report 1918:64-65). One National Army cantonment was established near the town of Admiral, Maryland. It was named Camp Meade, in honor of the Union Commander at the Battle of Gettysburg. On June 17, 1918 the Army leased the land for Camp Meade, and signed a contract to begin construction of the facility, which began almost immediately after the contract was signed. Construction proceeded quickly to prepare the facility to receive troops by September 15, 1918 (RG 92, Completion Reports, Camp Meade MD). Camp Meade cost $16,200,000 to establish; with a capacity of 52,575 soldiers, Camp Meade was one of the larger cantonments constructed. (Crowell 1919:546). Directly after the close of the war, discussion began concerning the closing of temporary facilities leased by the War Department for the emergency mobilization. Political pressure resulted in fewer facility closings than anticipated. Camp Meade was one of the temporary cantonments that the Army decided to retain. In 1919 the War Department included Camp Meade on a list of leased installations that it planned to acquire through outright purchase. The total area purchased consisted of 7,500 acres (United States Congress 1919:44-45). All buildings constructed in the establishment of the post were wooden temporary buildings with a design life of five years. No buildings associated with educational functions survive from this period of development. Survey No. AA-34F Page 8.4 Inter-War Period (1919-1939) In 1928 the Army changed Camp Meade's status from temporary cantonment to permanent past, and construction of the first permanent buildings at the installation was undertaken. Between 1928 and 1934 the permanent core of the post was planned, designed, and constructed. Sporadic construction efforts were undertaken between 1935 and 1939, on an as- needed basis. Between the end of the First World War and 1931, Fort Meade housed the nation's tank school and experimental grounds. Buildings 4215, 4216, and 4217 were constructed to house tank school enrolees and to provide limited instructional space. In 1931 the War Department transferred the tank school to Fort Benning, Georgia. Though the tank school was transferred, Fort Meade still housed active Army tank units. The post also hosted the Army Bakers' and Cooks' School, and Army reserve units during the Inter-War Period. The tank was developed during World War I by the English, to break the stalemate of trench warfare. On January 26, 1918, the United States created its own tank corps, under the command of Brigadier General Samuel Rockenbach. Like the U.S. Army Air Service, the U.S. Army Tank Corps relied heavily upon its allies for equipment. During the Meuse-Argonne offensive, the British and the French supplied most of the tanks used by the Americans (Shuffer 1959:54-58; Matloff 1969:399). Immediately after the war, the War Department ordered General Rockenbach to organize a peacetime Tank Corps at Camp Meade, Maryland. Like the Infantry and Air Service, the Tank Corps was subjected to a period of demobilization. By July 1919, the Tank Corps consisted of 154 officers and 2,508 enlisted personnel. A year later the National Defense Act of 1920 abolished the Tank Corps as a separate unit and integrated the Tank Corps into the U.S. Infdntry command structure. The decision arose from the assumption that in future wars the tank would be used in support of infantry assaults (Shuffer 1959:73-75). However, the War Department did retain the Tank School at Camp Meade. The school was located in the eastern area of the post, an area Survey No. AA-34F Page 8.5 which had been established in 1918 as Cantonment Benjamin Franklin, but had been absorbed by Camp Meade that same year. To complement the school, the Army also assigned the 1st Tank Group, whi6h-contained the 16th and 17th Tank Battalions, to the post. Here officers trained and experimented with the new weapon (Jones 1920:370-373). In 1932, the War Department dissolved the Tank School at Fort Meade, and transferred its duties to the Fort Benning Infantry School (RG 407, AG Central Decimal File, 352 (4-1-32)). The United States Army's interest in tanks and armored warfare languished until World War II, when the Germans dramatically demonstrated the effectiveness of armored warfare (Weigley 1984:411). No resources survive at Fort Meade that are solely associated with Army Tank School activities. The post also hosted the Army Bakers' and Cooks' School and Army reserve units during the Inter-War Period. The school graduated about 20 bakers and 75 cooks per year for the Third Corps Area. It also trained company grade officers as mess officers (RG 92, 00MG Geographic Correspondence File, Ft. George G. Meade, 352.11-352,17). The Army began construction on a permanent home for the cooks and bakers in 1938; the building, #2234, was completed in 1939 (RG 77, Completion Reports, Ft. Meade). Building 2234 served as an instructional and barracks facility for the Bakers' and Cooks' School. World War II (1940-1945) Fort Meade experienced another period of major construction activity between 1940 and 1942. Once again construction at Fort Meade was spurred by conflict in Europe, and once again, the buildings were temporary structures. United States Army mobilization plans between 1919 and 1940 anticipated training green American recruits at European facilities. Consequently, plans for mobilization in the United States during this period concentrated on utilizing facilities where recruits could be assembled into units and transported to Europe for appropriate military training. In 1931, Douglas MacArthur, Army i Chief of Staff, stated "That great cantonments, such as we had in the World War, will not be Survey No. AA-34F Page 8.6 constructed. Full utilization of Federal, State, County, and municipal buildings will be made as troop shelter. Where necessary, arrangements will be made to use privately owned buildings" (Fine & Remington 1972:66-67). By June of 1940, the German Army had conquered continental Europe, and had captured many of the facilities that the United States Army intended to use as training centers in the event of American mobilization. In response, Congress authorized a massive, nation-wide mobilization program, like that undertaken during the First World War. The mobilization program was implemented in anticipation of possible American involvement in the war. This mobilization program expanded the size of the Army and established training installations for new recruits. The War Department implemented the manpower supplement through measures such as the inclusion of the National Guard in the Federal service, an increase in the size of the regular Army, and the 1940 Selective Service Act. During the 1930s, a set of comprehensive building plans for temporary mobilization structures had been drafted by the Office of the Quartermaster General. This set of plans, known as the 700 Series, improved upon the designs of structures built during the First World War mobilization. When Congress passed the Emergency Construction Act in June 1940, these plans were implemented. The standardized plans were flexible, easily adaptable to base-specific architectural programs, and they could be constructed rapidly (Fine & Remington 1972:73,115-117; Wasch et al. :7-10). As part of the Emergency Construction Program, Ft. Meade officials commenced in September to construct buildings to accommodate mobilized National Guard Infantry divisions, anti-tank battalions, and a tank battalion (Fine & Remington 1972:199; RG 160, Box 2, Mobilization Division, Command Installations Branch, Construction History, 1942-1946). In tilie"fall of 1940, officials selected an architect-engineer firm and a contractor for the project, and made decisions about locating and constructing the new cantonment areas at Fort Meade. The J.E. Greiner Company of Baltimore was awarded the architect-engineer contract, and the Consolidated Survey No. AA-34F Page 8.7 Engineering Company of Baltimore signed the constructing contractor's agreement, in September 1940. Construction of the cantonment began on October 2, 1940, and was completed on May 1, 1941 (RG 77, Completion Reports, Vol.6; RG 77, Completion Reports, Vol. 6A). During this time, officials expanded the installation of '251 permanent brick and 218 wooden temporary buildings" with the addition of barracks, officers' quarters, post exchanges, repair shops, dental clinics, and other buildings (Ft. Meade Museum 1985:12; RG 77, Completion Reports, Vol. 6A). Some 18,000 workers completed $15,680,055.97 in building construction during the building period (Maryland Historical Society 1950:130; RG 77 Completion Reports, Vol. 6). In late 1941, Fort Meade also grew in size as the government acquired additional land for the post. The purchase of 6,137.87 acres of land increased the installation's area to 13,878.65 acres, the majority of which was deeded to the Interior Department in 1989 (Maryland Historical Society 1950:130; Washington Star December 6, 1940). Through the construction of the 700 Series (and 800 Series.an improvement of 700 Series plans implemented in 1941) temporary wood-frame buildings, the United States Army increased its housing capacity from 200,000 persons in 1939 to 6,000,000 persons by the conclusion of the mobilization program in the fall of 1944. Innovations in construction technologies were developed during the war mobilization program. Standardized plans and prefabrication of building units were refined in the design and construction of 700 and 800 Series buildings. Contractors employed to erect mobilization structures during the program used these same building techniques after the war as the basis for cost-effective civilian housing construction. During the period from 1942 to 1945, Fort Meade saw varied levels of building construction as officials tried to prepare the Post to house its changing activities. Officials pursued more construction later in the. war, as the existing and new facilities proved unable to meet the demands of the changing facility. During 1940 and 1941, Ft. Meade played many important roles: as a reception center for incoming draftees; as a base for the 29th Infantry Division; a housing and training center for other Survey No. AA-34F ( Page 8.8 units including the 70th Tank Battalion, the 93rd Anti-Tank Battalion, and the 105th Anti-Tank Battalion; a temporary location of the Tank Destroyer Tactical and Firing Center; and the home of the Army Bakers' and Cooks' School (Ewing 1948:xii). The Army Bakers' and Cooks' School underwent great expansion as the Army trained large numbers of soldiers in preparing food for the rapidly growing service. Military, food industry, and civilian personnel instructed the school's students in proper food preparation techniques, and helped train some 200,000 cooks and bakers during the War (Maryland Historical Society 1950:131). Standard military training courses at Fort Meade also included an infiltration course, and artillery range, and individual combat training areas. Among the more specialized activities pursued at the post during the War was the operation of the Special Service Unit Training Center. This center, which opened on March 2, 1942, trained soldiers in morale-enhancing jobs such as musician, motion picture electrician, radio engineers, theater positions, and librarians (Maryland Historical Society 1950:128). Some famous personalities, including Jack Benny and Glenn Miller, trained at the Center (Ft. Meade Museum 1985:13). No permanent buildings were identified as constructed for education activities during World War II. Post War Period (1946-1953) As the later stages of the war were being fought in Europe and the Pacific, construction activity declined at Fort Meade. The end of the war was within reach, and further expansion of the post would not be necessary. Instead, the post administration had to decide what to do with all of the war time construction when Fort Meade resumed a peacetime role. The post-war world presented an unclear picture of Fort Meade's future mission. In June 1947, the United States Second Army established its headquarters at Fort Meade. Second Army exercised control of Army units within the Mid-Atlantic region. Another indication of a return to peace-time patterns was the return of R.O.T.C. summer camp at the conclusion of the war (Ft. ( Meade Museum 1985:17). Survey No. AA-34F Page 8.9 The peacetime pace of the post accelerated again to a war footing in response to the Korean Conflict, which erupted in 1950. World War II temporary barracks, which had been closed, were reopened to process new draftees into the Army. In September 1950, the 2053d Reception Center, an Army Reserve unit, was activated to process new soldiers (Washington Star, January 28, 1951). Armored units returned to Fort Meade in the late 1940s when the 3d Armored Cavalry Regiment arrived on the post. The regiment remained at Fort Meade through the 1950s (Ft. Meade Museum 1985:16; Washington Star, October 24, 1954). Other armored units occupied Fort Meade on a rotating basis until 1974. In 1974, the last armored unit to station at Fort Meade was transferred to Texas (Ft. Meade Museum 1985:16). Other units have transferred in and out of Fort Meade during the post-World War II years. A 1966 guide to Army posts published by the editors of the Army Times described the units at Fort Meade as a conglomeration of activities (Army Times 1966:149). The physical plant of the post has improved steadily. World War II temporary buildings have been replaced by more modern quarters and administrative buildings. Some of the more significant additions include the Capehart Housing project, built in the 1960s; a new Post Exchange and Commissary complex; and a new First Army headquarters building at Pershing Hall. Tipton Airfield was constructed in 1960. In 1952 the Department of Defense announced plans to move the National Security Agency to Fort Meade. By 1954 construction had begun of facilities for the communications intelligence agency. The first building project was complete by 1957, but the agency had expanded so rapidly that further construction began in 1963. Today the National Security Agency, with accompanying security personnel, is one of the largest activities on Fort Meade (Bamford 1982:59-60). No building constructed for educational activities in the post-war period were identified during the survey. 9. Major Bibliographical References Survey No. AA-34F (SEE ATTACHED SHEET) 10. Geographical Data Acreage of nominated property Ca.6000 Quadrangle name Portions of U.S.G.S. 7.5 minute Laurel, Md; Odento uuadran rfgle scale Md; Savage, Md; and Relay, Md. UTM References do NOT complete UTM references Zone Easting Northing Zone Easting Verbal boundary description and justification (SEE ATTACHED SHEET) List all states and counties for properties overlapping state or county boundaries state N/A code N/A county N/A code N/A state code county code 11. Form Prepared By name/tItle Hugh McAloon, Geoffery Melhuish/ Architectural technicians organization R. Christopher Goodwin & Assoc., Inc. date July 7, 1993 street & number 337 E. 3rd Street telephone 301-694-0428 city or town Frederick state Maryland The Maryland Historic Sites Inventory was officially created by an Act of the Maryland Legislature to be found in the Annotated Code of Maryland, Article 41, Section 181 KA, 1974 supplement. The survey and inventory are being prepared for information and record purposes only and do not constitute any infringement of individual property rights. IA 'LAND HISTORICAL TRUST return to: Maryland Historical Trust DHCP/DHCC Shaw House 100 COMMUNITY PLACc 21 State Circle CROWNSVILLE, MD 21032-2023 Annapolis, Maryland 21401 -514-76C0 (301) 269-2438 PS-2746 Survey No. AA-34F Page 9.1 9. MAJOR BIBLIOGRAPHICAL REFERENCES Published Sources Army Times 1966 Guide to Army Posts. Stackpole Books, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Bamford, James 1982 The Puzzle Palace: A Report on America's Most Secret Agency. Houghton Mifflin, Boston Cannan, Deborah C., Leo Hirrel, Katherine E. Grandine, Kathryn M. Kuranda, Bethany M. Usher, Hugh B. McAloon, and Martha R. Williams 1993 National Historic Context for Department of Defense Installations, 1790-1940. Prepared for U. S. Army Corps of Engineers, Baltimore District. R. Christopher Goodwin & Associates, Inc., Frederick, MD. Crowell, Benedict 1919 America's Munitions, 1917-1918. Government Printing Office, Washington. Ewing, Joseph H. 1948 29 Let's Go!: A History of the 29th Infantry Division in World War 11. Infantry Journal Press, Washington. Fine, Lenore, and Jesse A. Remington 1972 The Corps Of Engineers: Construction in the United States. Government Printing Office, Washington. Fort Meade Museum 1985 An Illustrated History of Fort George G. Meade. Fort Meade Museum, Fort Meade. Fort Meade Post. 1943-1944. Jones, Ralph E. 1929 Our Tanks. Infantry Journal 35:370-373 Maryland Historical Society 1950 Maryland in World War 11. Maryland Historical Society. Baltimore. Matloff, Maurice 1969 American Military History. Government Printing Office, Washington. Risch, Erna 1962 Quartermaster Support of the Army, 1775-1939. Government Printing Office, Washington. Shuffer, George M. 1959 Development of the U.S. Armored Force: Its Doctrine and Its Tactics, 1916-1940. MA thesis, University of Maryland. Survey No. AA-34F Page 9.2 United States Congress. House. Committee on Military Affairs 1919 Hearings on Retention of Camp and Cantonment Sites for Future Uses. Government Printing Office, Washington. Washington Star. 1940-1962 [Clippings File at Martin Luther King Library] War Department, Annual Report 1925 Wasch, Diane Shaw et al  World War 11 and the U.S. Army Mobilization Program: A History of 700 and 800 Series Cantonment Construction. (Draft Report) Watson, Mark S. 1950 The Chief of Staff: Prewar Plans and Preparations. Government Printing Office, Washington. Weigley, Russell F. 1984 History of the United States Army. Indiana University Press, Bloomington. Wheaton, Francis B. 1928 The Architecture of the Army Post. Quartermaster Review 8:10-13. Archival Sources National Archives. Records of the Army Service Forces. RG 160. Mobilization Division, Command Installations Branch, Correspondence File. National Archives. Records of Headquarters Army Ground Forces. RG 337. Entry 16A, G-3 General Correspondence File. National Archives. Records of Headquarters Army Ground Forces. RG 337. Special Studies, Historical Section, Study #29 Tank Destroyer Units National Archives. Records of the Provost Marshall General's Office. RG 389. Entry 434. Prisoner of War Camps. National Archives. Records of the Adjutant General's Office. RG 407. Project File, Fort Meade, MD. National Archives. Records of the Adjutant General's Office. RG 407. AG Central Decimal File. National Cartographic Archives. Records of the Chief of Engineers. RG 77. Maps of Fort Meade. Suitland Federal Records Center. Records of the Chief of Engineers. RG 77. Completion Reports Survey No. AA-34F Page 9.3 Suitland Federal Records Center. Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General. RG 92. Completion Reports. Suitland Federal Records Center. Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General. RG 92: OQMG Geographic Correspondence File Suitland Federal Records Center. Records of U.S. Army Commands. RG 394. General Correspondence Third Corps Area. Survey No. AA-34F Page 10.1 10. GEOGRAPHICAL DATA Fort Meade's southwestern boundary is defined by Maryland Route 32. Fort Meade's northeastern boundary begins at the intersection of Route 32 and the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, Route 295. The northwestern boundary of Fort Meade parallels Route 295 towards the northeast until the intersection of that roadway with Maryland Route 175, Annapolis Road. From that intersection, the installation boundary parallels Annapolis Road in an arch to the southeast, until Route 175 intersects with Maryland Route 32. The boundary parallels Route 32 southwestward until the road arches westward. At that point the boundary turns south to encompass a circle of ammunition magazines constructed during World War II, and returns northward to Route 32. The post boundary continues to follow route 32 until the road turns northwest-ward. At that point the boundary diverges to the south, extending approximately 1600 feet, and turns west to parallel the Tipton Army Airfield runway. At the end of the runway the boundary turns north to rejoin Route 32, encompassing. Tipton Army Airfield. The post boundary continues to parallel Route 32 to the northwest until that road intersects with the Baltimore- Washington Parkway. The territory bounded by this perimeter encompasses the current remainder of lands purchased in 1920 to establish the post. Original Camp Meade territory situated south of the current post boundaries was ceded to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service under the auspices of the Base Closure and Realignment Act of 1988.